Episode 53 | The Secret Brain Hack Today’s Best Leaders Use to Unlock Their True Potential
with Dr. Robert Cooper
- Dr. Cooper tells us about his upbringing and the role played by his two grandfathers, who inspired him to always challenge himself and fully realize his potential. 4:45
- Dr. Cooper tells us how his experience as a Marine in Vietnam showed him how deep people can reach within themselves when confronted with extreme circumstances. 7:02
- Dr. Cooper explains how he became curious about how the best leaders use setbacks and difficulties as a catalyst to bring out more in themselves and their teams. 7:35
- Dr. Cooper tells us why being engulfed in information gives us the illusion that we’re actually learning, even though we’re not. 9:15
- Dr. Cooper talks about the expectations of having such accomplished mentors in his life as a young man, but how ultimately their influence led him down the path he continues on to do this day. 9:48
- Dr. Cooper explains why he believes that we only live in a tiny corner of our possibilities as human beings, and why our brains are hardwired to recognize the best of what’s common not the best of what’s possible. 11:26
- Dr. Cooper explains the phenomenon of cognitive tunneling, and how of very strengths are blocking us from developing. 13:40
- Dr. Cooper explains why he believes our biggest mission every day is to surpass the best we’ve ever been. 14:49
- Dr. Cooper introduces the concept of NFC, or “need for cognition” – a curiosity about the hidden capabilities within us – and why we need a moment of reflection before we can actually learn anything. 16:50
- Dr. Cooper reveals a strategy for inspiring curiosity in ourselves and others, and explains why we need to constantly ask ourselves the question, “Compared to what?” 19:00
- Dr. Cooper explains why he believes most of the people he works with (some of the highest performers in the world) are only at 10-20% of their capacity to shine – as well as why certain leaders pull away from everyone else. 21:35
- Dr. Cooper takes us through the fascinating world of neuroplasticity and the phenomenon of upwiring – the extraordinary opportunity we all have to remake ourselves for the better, everyday. 26:45
- Dr. Cooper relates an amazing story about studying with the famed psychologist Abraham Maslow, and explains why every morning you have to choose to face our fears, again and again. 34:10
- Dr. Cooper describes a strategy for upwiring, and why the greatest catalyst for positive growth is negative resistance. 38:09
- Dr. Cooper explains why those who can take a split second pause when faced with a challenge or confrontation have an advantage and will more successfully live up to their potential. 42:20
- Dr. Cooper explains why the first 22 minutes of every day are the most important. 49:35
- Upwire Podcast
- Dr. Cooper on LinkedIn
- University of Michigan football
How many emails do you have in your inbox right now? A hundred? A thousand? Twenty thousand?
An out of control inbox is probably THE biggest drag on your time and sanity. But it doesn’t have to be this way. There’s a secret to reaching inbox zero and taking back your email sanity.
It’s called SaneBox and I can’t recommend it enough. SaneBox sorts through your email and moves all of the trivial stuff into a different folder so the only messages in your inbox are the ones you actually want to see.
Aside from removing all of the junk so you can focus on messages that matter, there’s this a great feature called the BlackHole. Move an email into that folder and you’ll never hear from the sender again. It’s so rewarding.
Because we could all use more organization in our email life, we worked out a great deal for our listeners. Visit sanebox.com/AO and they’ll throw in an extra $25 credit on top of the two-week free trial. You don’t have to enter your credit card information unless you decide to buy, so there’s really nothing to lose. Check it out today and let me know if you love the BlackHole and reaching inbox zero as much as I do.
Go to SaneBox.com/AO to claim your $25 credit and try it for free now!