How to End Your Year With a Bang
#SPKup Episode 4
The end of the year brings with it that inevitable holiday lull, and it can be tempting to take your foot off the gas.
But the best companies and top performers know that those sleepy November and December months are a prime opportunity to generate momentum and slingshot themselves towards success in the New Year.
Here at SnackNation and Awesome Office HQ we’ve just wrapped up our Q4 quarterly planning, and after some reflection, we thought it would be a good opportunity to share our top tips for closing the year out STRONG.
That’s what this week’s #SPKup is all about – 9 ways to help you end your year with a bang, and start your new year off right.
- Review your goals from earlier in the year.
Even if you aren’t on track to hit all your goals (you probably won’t be), look to create some momentum going into the new year by reassessing what you can do in the time remaining.
- Use our 3x3x3 Matrix to track habits, objectives, and projects
Print these out and put them on your desk. Read them daily, and review and assess against them weekly. I like doing this on Sunday mornings.
Download our handy spreadsheet HERE.
- Create your New Year’s goals now.
This is so important if you want to successfully crush your goals this year. There are many great ways to do this, but I love this format – the 5-4-3-2-1 model. That is:
- 5 things you need to do
- 4 things to STOP doing
- 3 new habits
- 2 people to hold you accountable (and yes, set accountability meetings now – can take some time)
- 1 new belief
Download our 5-4-3-2-1 worksheet HERE.
- Don’t just create your goals, get started on them early!
Use November and December as a Training Ground for your goals without the pressure.
- Make sure you give yourself a break between Christmas and New Year’s
This means thinking and planning ahead so you don’t have to catch up during this period of rejuvenation. Also make sure to take care of your self and be smart about your health.
- Eat alkaline foods (all illness thrives in acidic environments)
- Wash your hands like crazy, give fist bumps more than high fives, and keep Purell at your desk
- Get sleep, especially during holiday party season
- Take vitamin C (I take 1-2K mg in morning and during day)
- If you’re attending holiday parties and drinking, take lysine
- Don’t overindulge
Don’t start the New Year behind the eight ball! That’s not to say don’t indulge, but make sure you offset indulgences with healthy choices or activities.
- Finalize all of your travel and plans in the first half of October
There is great freedom in commitment and knowing what you’re going to do over the holidays, which can turn very stressful if you’re rushing to do things.
- Reset your clock
Ask yourself, how do the shorter days impact you? Maybe you’re like me, and prefer working out later in the day during the winter because it gives you an extra boost to close the day out. The point is, do what you need to do to adjust to the shorter daylight hours.
- Go into the holidays with clear set personal objectives
This can mean creating meaningful connection with your friends and family. What’s more important than relationships? Than human connection? Than family? So why do so many of us not enter holiday weekends without objectives, when we have so many goals in the workplace.
Special Offer for AO Listeners
How legit is your snack game?
It’s a pretty important question. How you snack will determine how you eat, and snacking well is essential to experiencing an awesome life.
Step up your snack game by visiting Shop.SnackNation.com. Use code AO25 for 25% off your entire order. Choose from a variety of today’s most innovative, delicious, and healthier snacks. You can even purchase just one unit at a time, rather than an entire box – or you can choose one of our curation boxes, where our SnackNation Snack Scientists do all the hard selection work for you. Check out Shop.SnackNation.com and use code AO25 to experience some snack magic and save 25% off your order.