Episode 10 |How To Steal Headlines with Real-Time Communication with author David Meerman Scott
You’d be hard pressed to find someone more qualified to talk about real-time marketing and communication than our next guest, Mr. David Meerman Scott.
David is a renowned speaker and author, and has published ten books on marketing, PR, and sales in the networked age. In fact his book The New Rules of Marketing & PR is considered a must-read for modern PR and marketing pros, and is used as a text in hundreds of universities and business schools worldwide.
Additionally, He’s spoken in more than 40 countries and on all seven continents, and is the marketer in residence at Hubspot, where he helped the company grow to more than 11,000 customers in 70 countries.
David was fresh off a plane from Boston (and before that Madrid and Stockholm), but was generous enough to spend some time with us the evening before his keynote at the Employer Healthcare Benefits Conference in Orlando, Florida. During our conversation, he shared with us the secrets of “Newsjacking,” a term he coined for injecting your ideas into a breaking news story. He also spoke to us about the three legacy communications strategies that companies need to de-emphasize if they want to thrive in the networked age, as well as how he was able to find the time to write ten books in ten years.
- David describes the biggest mistakes conference attendees make, and what they can do to maximize their next conference experience.
- David walks us through what he means by real-time communication, and tells us why he thinks companies are doomed to failure if they refuse to adapt in the next decade.
- David explains why companies should adopt an abundance mindset when it comes to creating content for the Web.
- David weighs in on the Volkswagen scandal, and tells us why a “no comment” doesn’t make sense in a real-time world.
- David talks about the real-time communications opportunities that every company should be leveraging.
- David tells us how busy business leaders can keep up with social media by investing less than 15 minutes per day.
- David walks us through the concept of News jacking, and gives us one of his favorite and most successful examples of the practice.
- Finally David explains why speed and agility are the two necessary traits when in comes to marketing and PR.
- David Meerman Scott’s Official Website
- David Meerman Scott on LinkedIn
- @dmscott on Twitter
- @dmscott on Instagram
- Grain Surfboards
- David Meerman Scott’s Amazon author profile
- The New Rules of Marketing and PR by David Meerman Scott
- Marketing Lessons from the Grateful Dead: What Every Business Can Learn from the Most Iconic Band in History by David Meerman Scott
- Newsjacking by David Meerman Scott
- How Music Works By David Byrne
Liked this episode? Then let us know! Subscribe, rate, and review the show for a chance to win a SnackNation gift box for your office. Details at AwesomeOffice.org/podcast.