Episode 27 | How the Best Brands Guarantee Longevity by Creating a Ripple of Impact
with CatalystCreativ CEO Amanda Slavin
What can a Master’s degree in education and a background in nightlife teach you about becoming an entrepreneur and effective leader?
Judging from Amanda Slavin’s track record, quite a bit.
Amanda Slavin is a Millennial and Generation Z expert, and the CEO and founder of CatalystCreativ, an experience studio that’s focused on helping cities, brands and institutions flourish by developing educational and inspirational on- and offline campaigns.
But before she was Amanda Slavin, Catalyst CEO, she was Ms. Slavin, a first grade teacher with a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Connecticut’s Neag School of Education.
As she tells us in this week’s interview, Amanda is grateful for her experience as an educator, and applies the engagement principles she developed in grad school to her client work. Through education and engagement, Catalyst helps its clients reach Millennials and create a “ripple of impact” that creates community and lasting value for brands.
Amanda talks to us about Holacracy, the system of self organization she uses internally at Catalyst, and that she picked up from investor/mentor Tony Hsieh.
Amanda was also vulnerable enough to share some of the challenges she faces as a young, accomplished leader, including a recurring sense of isolation and occasional self-doubt, along with the tactics she uses to overcome these emotions.
We had a blast learning from Amanda, and we know you will too.
- Amanda talks about how her experience as a teacher serves as a driving force in her work with Catalyst Creativ, and shares the lasting lessons her first grade and middle school students taught her.
- Amanda explains how the Holacracy system works within Catalyst, and why she’s chosen to adopt it as a framework for the org.
- Amanda tells us why an organization can’t change unless its leaders are willing to work on themselves both personally and professionally.
- Amanda describes the “ripple of impact” concept.
- Amanda breaks down the “Three Ps” from her TEDx talk, and why she believes that companies ought to find a higher purpose in their missions.
- Amanda covers the “7 Levels of Engagement” that she developed as a grad student, and how she applies them to her client work at Catalyst.
- Amanda talks about one of the companies she admires most, and what she’s learned from them
- Amanda’s TEDx Talk
- @AJSlavin on Twitter
- @AJSlavin on Instagram
- Life Is Beautiful Fest
- Soul Cycle
- Creativ’s 7 Levels of Engagement
- “30 Things I’m Happy I Tried and Learned Before 30″ by Amanda Slavin